Why study with BCNO
Why choose the BCNO Group?
We are proud to announce that we have received a highly commended award for our technology enhanced learning. This award highlights that we deliver impactful learning to students through innovative delivery methods and technology, to enhance their learning experience.
- BCOM and ESO are internationally recognised institutions, influential in the development of osteopathic education
- As specialists in osteopathic education, our focus is on providing the best learning environment and development opportunities for student osteopaths
- We teach a broad osteopathic programme, so graduates can help a wider range of patients and conditions
- We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching, which has been praised at external review and has scored highly in the UK’s National Student Survey
- Students have access to research facilities and a team of experienced researchers at both sites, who nurture and develop undergraduate research awareness
- We have an excellent staff-student ratio – 1:6 in clinic and 1:10 for practical classes
- The M.Ost degree programme is delivered in parallel at our London and Kent sites, which offers students the potential to transfer*
- The BSc(Hons) Osteopathy degree provides a flexible study option for those with existing work or family commitments, so they too can study to become an osteopath
- We utilise technology to enhance the student experience and teaching and learning: live streaming of theoretical lectures offers flexibility in teaching and learning delivery; digital platforms enable live streaming simultaneously across sites, allowing lecturer and student interaction and real time Q&A sessions; clinical and practical sessions are delivered face-to-face, supported by additional material and online learning resources and content
- We have well-established teaching clinics, where students gain over 1000 hours of clinical practice and see approximately 50 new patients before graduating
- We offer a range of specialist clinics, so students gain experience with patients of all ages and backgrounds (including maternity, babies, sports and performing arts) and can learn directly from experienced, specialist tutors who are also practising osteopaths
- The M.Ost builds on the students’ clinical experience with Complex Case Management
- Final year electives allow students to gain experience in an area of special interest**
- Our Master of Osteopathy degree provides the skills and attributes needed for a varied and successful health career, enabling BCNO graduates to grasp new opportunities arising within the profession
- Due to the unique nature of the osteopathic profession, students at Level 7 are taught business and practice management skills, allowing graduates to choose how they will develop their career as an independent practitioner
- 100% of graduates are in employment 6 months after graduating (based on 2020-21 BCOM respondents who had applied for employment – others travelled or went on to further study)
- Both BCOM and the ESO offer a warm and friendly atmosphere and a strong sense of community
- We have an active student union, which organises sports and social events, including a number of online activities
- We have two campuses, with opportunities for students to come together to share study tips and to enjoy social events
- We have an excellent support system in place for students, who have access to study skills workshops, personal tutors, and counsellors
- The BCNO offers a wide osteopathic network, as a student and after graduating
- We offer CPD courses at each campus, with students and alumni eligible for discounts
Two great locations
- BCOM is located in London close to the amazing Camden Town, Hampstead Heath, Regents Park, Wembley Stadium, and an eight-minute tube ride to Oxford Street
- ESO is located in Maidstone, Kent; Boxley campus is set in an area of outstanding natural beauty, with 17 acres of stunning grounds. Students have easy access to Kent’s beautiful countryside and coastline – all just an hour from London and links to mainland Europe
- Students have access to facilities and tutors at each campus – those studying a Master of Osteopathy, from 2022, can choose to spend an academic year at the London/Kent campus, so they can experience both fantastic locations and experience working in different clinical settings*
- Students have access to study materials at each campus, including online learning resources and research publications
The start of a fulfilling allied health career
- Our graduates are known for their breadth of knowledge and clinical experience – they are in demand as practitioners, researchers and educators, in the UK and overseas
- Studying at the BCNO enables graduates to help a wider range of patients, leading to a more interesting and fulfulling career
COVID-19: Our status as healthcare providers and educators, has enabled students to continue their education during lockdown periods, attending face-to-face classes and treating patients within our in-house clinical setting, with the addition of PPE and with essential safety measures in place.
* M.Ost – Students may transfer between sites after completion of a level of study and subject to student funding constraints, resources and college approval.
**M.Ost – Students may select an elective from a range of areas, currently including paediatrics, maternal health, elderly care and sports. They can use the network of contacts provided by the College to manage their schedule appropriately. Students should observe in the first instance but are encouraged to support and contribute to the area selected, providing a reflective case study as evidence of the engagement for formal assessment. Any placements undertaken in other clinical settings is subject to a formal agreement, risk assessment and support plans. Students are allocated to clinics due to student interest dependent on available number and resources but, where possible, all students will observe a minimum of at least one session of a particular specialism.