Studying in the UK

International students

The UK is known internationally for high quality osteopathic training, with BCOM and ESO two of the leading osteopathic institutions; each year we welcome students from around the world and our international standing, together with the recognised status of osteopaths in the UK, provides amazing opportunities for BCNO practitioners here and overseas*.

*Please be aware that osteopathic legislation varies from country to country. If you are looking to practice outside of the UK you will need to check the specific regulations for each country.

You can find information about the UK’s points-based immigration system and check whether you need a Student visa on the UK Government website.

The BCNO holds a Student visa sponsor licence and our Admissions team is happy to provide advice on the application process. They can also answer any questions you have about living and studying in the UK, or can put you in touch with one of our current students. Please do feel free to get in touch using our Contact page.

As a Student visa sponsor, we can issue International/non-UK applicants, who have been offered an unconditional place on our degree course, with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This number is needed to apply for a Student visa. Partners and children (‘dependants’) may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK under the Student visa – you can find more information on the UK Government website.

If you have any questions about the Student visa process please do contact our Admissions team. We’re here to help.

Graduate Visa

All International students holding a Tier 4/Student route visa who have successfully completed an undergraduate degree can apply to stay in the UK and work/look for work for two years after graduation. There is no requirement to be employed or to have a sponsor. You can find more information about the Graduate visa via the links below.

Fact Sheet: Home Office Graduate Immigration Route

UK CISA: Working after Studies

If you have family members (a partner and/or children) who joined you in the UK on your Student visa, they can apply to stay as dependants on your Graduate visa. Please visit the UK Government website for information.

Skilled Worker / Health and Care Worker visa

The Health and Care Worker visa was introduced in August 2020 as part of the Skilled Worker visa. It is a points based system that enables eligible healthcare professionals, who have trained to a recognised standard, to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job and to benefit from reduced associated fees. The Skilled Worker visa is valid for 5 years, after which time the visa may be extended or the skilled worker may apply for indefinite leave to remain.  In recognition of their Registered status, Osteopaths are included on the list of qualifying medical professions. Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible.

Please be aware:  Strict eligibility criteria are in place, including the requirement to hold an offer of employment and ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from a Home Office approved employer who holds a ‘Skilled Worker’ license; this employer will be your sponsor, similar to the BCNO being your Student visa sponsor. As many osteopaths in the UK are self-employed or practise in small, independent healthcare settings, opportunities are limited.  

You can find a list of Skilled Worker sponsors here.

For more information about the Health and Care Worker visa and eligibility criteria please visit the UK Government website.

UK-trained osteopaths are in demand throughout the world. To find out where our Alumni are currently living and working, please visit our Alumni page.